Event Type Training Events
19dec(dec 19)10:00 am20(dec 20)4:00 pmWEBINAR: Start-Up Commercial Garlic Growing - Years 1-3 - 4 x 90min Interactive Webinars - 19 & 20 DEC 2020 (PLEASE CONFIRM)Live and Interactive Webinar - See, chat, ask questions live via video conferencing through your PC or Tablet. Presentations included. 10:00 am - 4:00 pm (20)
4 x 90 min Sessions – over the Weekend of Sat 19 & Sun 20 December PLEASE CALL US FIRST TO CONFIRM THIS IS STILL SCHEDULED (Session times
4 x 90 min Sessions – over the Weekend of Sat 19 & Sun 20 December
PLEASE CALL US FIRST TO CONFIRM THIS IS STILL SCHEDULED
(Session times will be confirmed with all paid attendees to suit everyone)
Start-Up Commercial Garlic Growing for Years 1 – 3
This Webinar Series has been created for those lovely customers and friends who have wanted to attend my 2 Day Intensive On Farm Startup and Scaleup Workshop but couldn’t make it for either financial or convenience reasons.
Interactive Online Webinars are second best to being on the farm in person. All you need is a computer or tablet with a webcam and microphone (perhaps earphones) so you can see me speak real time and present information to you. You can interact with me in person and by speaking – so it is in every way real time and interactive. You will be given a digital copy of the training presentation in advance so you have time to read it and make the most of this great onine offering.
Whilst it won’t provide the full scope of the 2 day intensive workshop, nor provide the benefit of being on farm and seeing the equipment, tasting the garlic and networking with others – I hope this will provide the essential knowledge required to start your garlic business and optimise your production and sales success.
If you want to see a functioning commercial harvest and curing environment – join me for the January 2021 Onfarm Harvest, Cure & Finishing workshop.
Having grown both broadacre and boutique and being past Chair of the Australian Garlic Industry Association, and multi-award medal winner for my garlic, I feel I have a lot to share and look forward to helping you start your commercial journey.
This interactive Webinar will be broken into four separate Webinars and will include:
Webinar 1 – Know your Market, Select your Sales Channels & Match your Garlic Groups
- Garlic Groups & Cultivars – Climate Ranges, Harvest Times & Storage Duration
- Garlic Marketing – the new Paradigm of Gourmet Garlic & Culinary Styles
- Understand Australian Garlic Seasonal Market & Pricing Trends
- Let your Sales Channel define your garlic production business – grow what sells best
- Production Scale – stepping stones of capital investment – direct versus wholesale, setup investment, operational costs
Webinar 2 – Growing Garlic & Soils
- How much land do you need – and what tests should you do
- Rotation – is it really needed and what do I grow
- Soil preparation – the process and timing of works plus formed beds or inground planting
- Garlic planting material (seed) – how much, quality considerations & acclimation
- Cracking, grading, coating & planting – optimising germination, health & yield
- Weed suppression – chemical, mechanical or organic … the choices
Webinar 3 – The Growing, Fertilizing, Irrigation and Disease Issues
- Garlic – the growing rhythm – understanding the different phase and nutrient demands
- Garlic nutrient demands – soil fed, foliar feeding and liquid supplementation
- Irrigation – the different types of irrigation – pros & cons – what suits your climate
- Fertigation – is it important – different types for high and low-pressure systems
- Diseases – in your seed, leaf, stem, bulb & root – plus storage diseases
- Diseases – biocontrols and chemical controls – what to use, when and legal compliance
Webinar 4 – The Harvest, Curing and Storage processes PLUS Seed Optimisation
- Scape removal – do I need to do it, when and is it worth it
- Bulbing – how and when you plant determines bulb size, clove number and maturing cycle
- Know when to harvest – bulbs double in last two weeks, but each group has its own timing
- Deciding how you’ll cure – harvest conditions, temperature, RH & curing infrastructure
- Optimal Curing – highest quality seed, storage and bulb quality – arrest disease development
- How to harvest to minimise labour – hand, fork, undercutter – bunching or tray curing
- Separating Seed from Sale stock – Keep your best and sell the rest
- Preparing bulbs for selling – finish process and standard, packaging options
- Storage – how to store to optimise your long storing garlic – passive or cold stored
Webinars are an online seminar where you are able to see both the presenter and their presentation at the same time and ask questions. All you need is a laptop or tablet that allows you to see and hear the Webinar.
Cost: $425.00 including GST
19 (Saturday) 10:00 am - 20 (Sunday) 4:00 pm
On Farm Experience – Garlic Harvesting, Curing & Finishing Time: 10:00am – 1:00pm Location: 4241 Channel Highway, Middleton TAS 7163 Knowing when and how to
On Farm Experience – Garlic Harvesting, Curing & Finishing
Time: 10:00am – 1:00pm
Location: 4241 Channel Highway, Middleton TAS 7163
Knowing when and how to harvest, how to cure and how to professionally finish your garlic is vital to its bulb health, storage and sale. The perfect SEED and SALE bulb has at least 3 complete bulb skins, a perfect stem and rock sold basal plate … and when harvested, cured and finished is an object of perfection.
But how do you know when a garlic plant is ready to harvest to give you the right finish, or how to harvest, dry and cure? What conditions do you need, how do you do it, how do you know when your garlic is cured and what is the best way to finish a bulb for seed or sale?
It does not matter if you’ve done our Intensive Training Courses or simply want to know how it is done. Each garlic group matures at different times through out the season, and each has its own maturity indicators to tell you when to harvest. Join us as we walk through the garlic crop and see the 10 different garlic groups and understand and see when each will be ready to harvest.
We’ll take a look at the curing shed and equipment, discuss and demonstrate the varyous stages of curing and how to know when it is cured. And then we’ll look at how to perfectly finish your garlic bulbs for sale and seed to both protect and promote your garlic for optimal sale and storage.
Cost: $125.00 including GST
(Saturday) 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
On Farm Taste Tour Experience – The World of Garlic Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm Location: 4241 Channel Highway, Middleton TAS 7163 The most common comment
On Farm Taste Tour Experience – The World of Garlic
Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Location: 4241 Channel Highway, Middleton TAS 7163
The most common comment I received is “I thought there was only one type of garlic” and the response I always give is … there are as many flavours as there are cultures!
Garlic is the only annual crop in the world that does NOT have a managed seed genetic market and this has meant that every culture in the world has nutured and, through natural selection, created garlic groups and flavours that reflect their culture and their cuisine.
Join us in this on-farm 2 hour Taste Tour and we will show you how to “taste” garlic like a pro, as if you were tasting wine or cheese … the myriad of flavour differences between the different garlic groups that evolved around the world and the incredible difference in how to prepare and cook the garlic.
We’ll even have a chance to taste some Aged Black Garlic … and experience its range of flavours!
Cost: $45.00 including GST
(Saturday) 10:00 am - 12:00 pm