28oct(oct 28)9:00 am29(oct 29)4:00 pmSold Out!Start-Up and Scale-Up for Commercial Garlic GrowersAn intensive 2 day workshop for new commercial garlic growers or existing producers expanding into the Garlic fresh produce market.9:00 am - 4:00 pm (29)
Start-Up and Scale-up for Commercial Garlic Growers An intensive 2 day workshop for new commercial garlic growers or existing producers expanding into the Garlic fresh produce market. This course will provide a
Start-Up and Scale-up for Commercial Garlic Growers
An intensive 2 day workshop for new commercial garlic growers or existing producers expanding into the Garlic fresh produce market.
This course will provide a commercial perspective on growing garlic, focusing on the garlic market and factors that influence your sale price, garlic groups suited to different climatic regions, garlic production and a staged, capital and risk managed approach to scaling up.
Growing garlic can seem simple in small scale, but in larger scale the costs and risks are significant. What area of production should you start with, which garlic groups should you grow, what basic equipment will you need, how do you manage soil fertility and diseases … and where and how do you sell?
Cover these and many more topics with Letetia Ware, from Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic, an award winning, commercial certified organic grower who is a leader in the Australian’s garlic industry. She will share her practical knowledge and experience in garlic markets, commercial cultivars, soil fertility, growing and curing practices, disease management and a risk managed approach to scaling up.
Letetia is a board member of the Australian Garlic Industry Association and a regular presenter at the AGIA’s annul seminar and other national Landcare and Agriculture forums on both growing garlic, organic soil fertility and microbial bio-enhancement for plant health and pest & disease suppression.
Topics Covered Include:
- Selecting your sales channel and market timing
- Knowing the wholesale, retail & farmers market pricing & supply/demand phases
- Optimise your garlic cultivars by market prices and interstate supply
- Know which garlic groups suit your state and microclimate for optimal production
- Basic garlic plant physiology and growth patterns in different climates
- Planting spacing and densities for manual and mechanical approaches
- Soil, water & microbial testing for baseline management of inputs & diagnostics
- Plant Health Issues – Diagnostic approach to finding out what’s wrong and how to fix
- Pest, diseases & environmental impacts of garlic
- Optimal curing & storage approaches and conditions
- Cost and risk based approach to capital equipment investment
- Scaling up in phases – a managed approach
Workshop structure is for 1 ½ days at the learning centre and remaining ½ day on Letetia’s farm looking at garlic and curing environment.
Workshop will be held at:
Sustainability Learning Centre
Olinda Grove, Mount Nelson TAS 7007
Dates: Saturday & Sunday 28 & 29 October, 2017
Cost: $495.00 including GST
Times: Saturday 28 October: 9:30am – 4:00pm at Learning Centre
Sunday 29 October: 9:30am – 12:00pm at Learning Centre
Sunday 29 October: 12:30pm – 4:00pm on Farm in Middleton
Dietary options: Vegetarian and vegan options will be provided. Any additional special considerations should be advised.
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!
28 (Saturday) 9:00 am - 29 (Sunday) 4:00 pm